FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Need advice for Sub install in rear doors
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 15   |   Total Posts: 25   |   Total Views: 59971
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3
RickyG
• Lubbock, TX, USA
• Registered on 5/10/2003
• 24 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/4/2004 00:57
Hello all, I am wanting to put a 12" sub in one of the rear doors of my X to free up some room in the cargo area, currently a home to a large sub/amp box. Is there anyone out there who has personally done this? I have seen some pictures on SoundDomain.com and I know it will work. But what I really need is more info on the exact how to, or suggestions on how to mnake the "door" more rigid and airtight. Any and all help would be appreciated. Also, has anyone out there installed there amps under the larger of the two middle seats. I have exprimented with the placement and it looks like it will work, even with the seat folded down. I want to go with the more stealthy look, or lack there of. Pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance! Ricky
LANDYOT  SuperMotors Member
Sponsor
Subscriber
Subscriber since 11/23/2003
• Newport News, VA, USA
• Registered on 7/15/2003
• 1,110 posts
Posted:1/4/2004 08:54
The rear doors are fiberglass. I imagine you could pull off the interior trim panel, and caulk all the seams from inside the door. You'll probably need to make some fitted panels to close off the air around the door latch mechanism(s). Make sure to allow for door movement when running the wires ... and that those doors can swing open 180-degrees when you disconnect the retainer bar. I haven't had the interior panels off, so I'm unaware of what the structure looks like behind them. And getting those panels to fit air-tight would be impractical. However, you could fabricate a sheet metal panel for mounting your subwoofer, and seal it to the door. Then cut the interior panel(s) to fit around the speaker(s).

I've seen photos (can't recall on which X-forum) where one guy fabricated a set of amp cover boxes, and covered them with the same carpet as the rest of the truck. These boxes were mounted on the backside of those flip-down panels behind the 2nd-row seats. And I believe they were positioned in such a fashion as to allow those panels to flip down, and the amp-boxes would fit in the gap beneath those panels in the down-position. I do not know if he installed any fans to help remove the heat from inside the amp-boxes. It was a very neat installation ... had his entertaiment equipment mounted in those boxes, too.

Good luck with this ... and let us see how you complete this task when you're done.
jimmybigrig
• winnipeg, XX, Canada
• Registered on 2/22/2003
• 66 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/4/2004 10:51
have done just that. only diference is that a 12 will not sound that great in those doors 10 just fit.( not size of speaker but space needed to make the sub sound good ) what they did was cut out some of the the door and basically made a fitted box within the doors extending about 3 inches further than your stock covers. then covered it with a matching tan interior material and it looks almost factory. As for you amps the only place i would put them is under a false floor in the cargo area basically build a platform about 4-5 inches in depth covering the whole cargo area have two vents for circulation with some fans and again cover the top with matching interior color ( or like i did plexi-glass the area above the amps and light them to show them off, not as pratical though) and it would look stock no one looking in could tell you had this stuff you don't lose any cargo space cause you can still put stuff ontop of the false floor you don't lose the spare tire which you could need and to top it off it looks very clean, not a after thought. oh ya it booms like crazy!!!
Raymond Golson
• Piscataway, NJ, USA
• Registered on 8/19/2002
• 68 posts
Posted:1/4/2004 14:43
RickyG,

I had the DVD system installed in my 2000 under the rear seat and the seat still maintained all the normal functionality, sliding and folding down so a amp should work also as long as it is not to tall when bolted down

2000 Excursion Ltd 4x4, Air Raid, Good Year 305x70x16 on stock rim, Reflex shocks, ACCER DVD system, JVC audio system, stainless steel bug shield - TRADED! Black 2003 Excursion Ltd 4x4, loaded! SWAPPED! White 2003 Excursion Eddie Bauer, loaded also! Will stay stock for the winter months ahead!
jimmybigrig
• winnipeg, XX, Canada
• 66 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/4/2004 15:45
ya it will fit under your seat but can you rest stuff on top of it when the seat is removed? or folded away to give you more cargo room? what about a big guy with big feet putting there feet under the seat in front of them? just my 2 cents.
Doug Loper
• Byron Center, MI, USA
• Registered on 9/26/2003
• 114 posts
Posted:1/4/2004 16:29
Here is a pics of my amp install. Used wood covered with factory colored carpet to help hide them.
There are more pics of the install and the rest of the system in my album.

Forgive the white spots. Just took the pics and the Lake Michigan snow machine has started up.

2000 X V-10
Mods: 6" Revtek lift
35" M/T Baja Claw Radials
16" x 10" Eagle Alloy Rims
Superlifts Truspeed Calibrator
Pioneer DVD surround sound system.
SilverStar 9007
Clear front corners.
edited 1/4/2004 16:33
jimmybigrig
• winnipeg, XX, Canada
• 66 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/4/2004 19:33
doogie not a bad install of those amps! same as mine in the cargo area. yours is even more hidden than mine. i had visions of when we were kids and we just slapped amps under seats and away we went. the way you set them up would "almost" make me chage my mind on my placement. good job.
Excur Fun
• Acworth, GA, USA
• Registered on 8/17/2003
• 11 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/5/2004 07:56
I have two ten inch subs in the rear doors with the amps under the second row seat. If I have time I will take some pics and post them here.
olfc
• boston, MA, USA
• Registered on 1/5/2004
• 7 posts
Posted:1/5/2004 20:39
look at the jl audio stealth box. fits in most of the center console. 10" sub sounds like a 12" kit. we just built a show X using their equipmentt. nice stuff, sounds great. installers said rear doors a nightmare. lots of fab time and a ton of dynamat to make it sound right. info, go to jl audio and look at their stealth boxes. you end up with a 8x10 x2" tall space in the console. i alos put a 500/5 amp under the seat which fits beautifully. the jl people are excellent to deal with. can suggest a good local installer if you need advice. good luck. OLFC

2003 ltd, grey, limited slip. V10, banks tubes and exhaust, donohoe racing edge 4.5" lift kit, weld stonecrusher wheels, 17x10, bfg 35", bilstein x6, 4 up front, 2 back, chipped, airaid intake, trailready heavy duty bumper, hella 4000, piaa 520, hella ff75(backup lights), full sound and video stealth install. Built this trtuck with support from Ford and all vendors for exposure to Hunting and Fishing enthusiasts on the show circuit.
edited 1/5/2004 20:44
RickyG
• Lubbock, TX, USA
• Registered on 5/10/2003
• 24 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:1/5/2004 22:20
Hey guys I apprecate all of the input! Here is a link of the exact idea I had in mind. (check out the Arrow 93.1 X)

http://www.al-eds.com/indexframe.php4?category=1&whatpage=hotcars/hotcars.php

I am debating on how to seal the left and right sides of the door box. This particular installer did not go into detail on what they did, but this on the right track. I am thinking of using fiberglass resin soaked strips to form the interoir sides to complete the box. With the top or front of the box very similar to the one on the website. I did find one other install where they were able to keep a majority of the interior panel and integrate it with the sub install(much like doogie's). I like that idea to keep as much of the factory look as possible.

As for the amps under the seat. I plan on using a RF 501X with the covers on both ends to prevent the "kicking" of the connections as someone suggested. Also, I plan to use a Soundstream Rubicon 702 for the sub with the cover to hide and protect the wires. If you have looked at your second seat recently there is a support bar running from left to right that the amps will have to stradle. Also I plan to leave room between the two amps for the seatbelt holders to still be able to fold down, when you fold the back of the seat down flat. Initial fitting of the amps shows this should work. I will post pics of the entire process when completed! I haven't started yet due to the fact the amps and sub are on order.

If anyone has and ideas how I can solidify the interior of the back doors, please let me know. As for now fiberglass is the front runner with rigid expanding foam in second, with probably 2-3 layers of a sound deading material applied to either of those. The sub I am going to use is a RFD2212 Rockford HX2 12" sub. According to RF the suggested sub box size is .75 cubic feet. My rough measurements prior to any work is 1.1 cubic feet.

Wish me luck Ricky
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Need advice for Sub install in rear doors
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 15   |   Total Posts: 25   |   Total Views: 59971
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog