FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Need advice for Sub install in rear doors
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 15   |   Total Posts: 25   |   Total Views: 60012
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3
E. Long  Club OwnerSuperMotors Owner
Subscriber
Subscriber since 1/1/2001
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 1/23/2001
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:6/17/2005 07:49
Nicely done. That's what I want to do to mine. My door panels are falling apart with the current install I have in the rear doors.

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
clarence bjarnason
• brandon, XX, Canada
• Registered on 3/13/2005
• 37 posts
Posted:6/20/2005 17:40
i am currently installing a pioneer 10" in the rear door of the drivers side. i am taking lots of pics along the way so i can post them here for others to try it. i should be done by next weekend but we will see. my wife is due on thursday with the second so that might reduce progress a bit!!!!
talk to ya'll in a bit
clarence
bigfoot567
• Fort Worth, TX, USA
• Registered on 3/18/2005
• 55 posts
Posted:11/2/2005 16:27
I'm considering doing the rear door sub-woofer deal in my X, and I'm no stereo whiz banger....so looking for solid advice for a dumb - A** (me).

I understand I need to use a 3/8" plywood panel over the metal door inside to hold the speaker in place, as the plastic door cover tends to allow it to lossen over time with vibration,etc.

I also need to line the interior of the door cavity with some sound deadening sticky material...right?

I'm looking at buying a set-up on sale this week at Best Buy with a pair of Sony 10" woofers and includes a 1200 watt amp for $280.

I'm going to try to wire it into my factory indash single CD radio....and I assume just run power to the amp, using a good size guage of wire for the juice. I guess the best place to mount the amp is under the middle seat, if it will fit and allow the seats to still fold down.??

Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.
kcautosound
• Kansas City, MO, USA
• Registered on 6/17/2005
• 16 posts
Posted:11/2/2005 23:01
In my install that I posted pics of on here I used Trupan wood. It is an extremely light MDF wood. It costs more but it is well worth the money for the weight is saves. When I do the Excursion rear doors I use the 1/2 inch wood. The doors are fiberglass and there is not much to mount too. What I do when I make these enclosures is I make the face of the enclosure about 2 inches larger on the sides. Basically allowing me to mount the box into the door and screw it to the outer sides of the hole I cut into the door. With the facing only being 1/2" it allows you to put the door panel back over the enclosure face and mount the speaker through it into your box. I even trimmed some of the wood out of the way allowing me to even snap the panel back into place. I have done over 15 Excursions this way. Pioneer now has a TS-SW124D thin mount 12" subwoofer that would be great for these applications. It's only 4 inches deep!!!!

Can be found here http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4061_90400838,00.html
edited 11/2/2005 23:01
kiarasue
• Enumclaw, WA, USA
• Registered on 9/27/2005
• 81 posts
Posted:11/3/2005 00:22
I looked at alot of different ways to do this. The doors are big and can be a benefit depending on your speakers and the sound you want. I mounted two 10's in the factory door panels. The problem most people have is remounting the panels. Ford get's $2.65 each for the mounting clips. Most of the ones I have worked on crack the fiberglass when the panel is removed. I put the square plastic licence plate mounts in each hole and drill the panel to match. I attach the panel then with 3" #14 stainless screws and rosettes. I also paint the screw heads and rosettes to match the interior color. To stop any vibration noise I split fuel line and push it over the edge of the panel. I fit the amp in the right interior panel ahead of the heater along with a capasitor to keep things running smooth.
edited 7/30/2006 13:31
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
Need advice for Sub install in rear doors
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 15   |   Total Posts: 25   |   Total Views: 60012
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog