FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
ART Update - 200 miles
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 14   |   Total Posts: 23   |   Total Views: 3511
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3
birdman127
• baltimore, MD, USA
• Registered on 10/13/2002
• 581 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/31/2004 18:26
Quote:
I just had ART rotors and pads installed today. I'm leaving on Saturday for a 14 day, 2000 mile trip. If you can wait that long, I'll give you my thoughts then.

Sounds like a trip to Fla. Post your thoughts and have a good and safe trip.

Scott

2000 ltd 6.8 V10*4.30LS*

Lots of mods
check my gallery

Orf
• Pittsburgh, PA, USA
• Registered on 8/29/2003
• 143 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:8/31/2004 19:52
Actually, it's a trip to the Outer Banks, but I also know that I'll be driving around there for 2 weeks, hence the 2000 miles. I'll try to keep the rubber side down, thanks.
LANDYOT  SuperMotors Member
Sponsor
Subscriber
Subscriber since 11/23/2003
• Newport News, VA, USA
• Registered on 7/15/2003
• 1,110 posts
Posted:8/31/2004 20:07
Orf - I'll be home all day Saturday (working on radius-rods), so when you pass Williamsburg, give me a holler, and I'll meet up with y'all if your ready for a short break at that time. If not, you can try again on your return trip. You'll pass within 4 miles of my home. If interested, send me an e-mail to confirm my current phone number ... begins with "930."

BTW, construction on I-64 near Hampton is creating horrible traffic, especially eastbound ... backed up for at least 5 or 6 miles on weekends. I highly recommend getting off at the Rt.143 Jefferson Ave. exit in Newport News (it's the next exit past the Ft. Eustis exit), and just follow it eastbound until you hit I-664 just before the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel. That would save you at least 15 minutes. I-664 will take you directly to the tollway heading to the OBX.
Andre Schmid
• Mount Airy, MD, USA
• Registered on 8/30/2004
• 2 posts
Posted:9/1/2004 08:38
Quote:
I just had ART rotors and pads installed today. I'm leaving on Saturday for a 14 day, 2000 mile trip. If you can wait that long, I'll give you my thoughts then.

I look forwad to hearing your thoughts.
Thanks.
Orf
• Pittsburgh, PA, USA
• Registered on 8/29/2003
• 143 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:11/2/2004 08:29
I didn't post my thoughts right away, because I wanted to get a few more miles on my ART rotors. I now have a little over 5K on them, so here goes.

I feel that I now have more confidence in my stopping power. In stop and go traffic, the brakes don't get soft, like they used to. I've had a couple of those "the light turned yellow at just the wrong time" moments, and a couple of those "what is that idiot doing?" moments, and it appears that the truck stops a little quicker than before. I don't know if what I notice is due to actual performance improvement, or subconsciously knowing that I put ART rotors on the beast, but I do feel more comfortable in those quick stop scenarios. That alone is worth it to me. I'll need another 15K miles, or so, to be able to comment on the warping issue. My OEM rotors didn't warp until they had about 20K miles on them.
ROBERTH
• Raleigh, NC, USA
• Registered on 3/23/2003
• 62 posts
Posted:11/2/2004 14:01
I bought my ART's several months ago and decided to get a few more miles from the stock one's first. Question I have been wondering about while seeing ad's around stating less brake dust if using the new ceramic pads. Has anyone used the ceramic's? The one thing that drives me nuts is the black dust that is on the newly cleaned and waxed wheels the very next day!
The claims are better heat dissapation, less dust, etc. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this yet?
Hinckley
• Middletown, DE, USA
• Registered on 11/2/2001
• 44 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/9/2005 17:50
50K now and all is well.

Chris H
04 F150 Lariat
00 X 7.3 XLT
92 Bronco EB
69 F250 C/S Ranger
McDiesel
• Greenville/Spartanburg, SC, USA
• Registered on 9/2/2004
• 8 posts
Posted:4/12/2005 08:06
After installing the ART Rotors and Performance Friction Pads, did anyone have trouble with ART's recommended "bed-in" procedure of 2 sets of 60 to 10 mph braking sessions? Any recommendations based on experience?
E. Long  Club OwnerSuperMotors Owner
Subscriber
Subscriber since 1/1/2001
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 1/23/2001
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/12/2005 11:44
Quote:
After installing the ART Rotors and Performance Friction Pads, did anyone have trouble with ART's recommended "bed-in" procedure of 2 sets of 60 to 10 mph braking sessions? Any recommendations based on experience?

What kind of problems are you having?

All I noticed when I first installed the ARTs was that the ABS needed to do a little adjusting. After a couple of miles of driving and a few 60-0 tests, braking was finally back to normal without the pulsating effect.

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
McDiesel
• Greenville/Spartanburg, SC, USA
• Registered on 9/2/2004
• 8 posts
Posted:4/12/2005 12:03
To quote an attachment that ART sent me when I ordered the rotors and pads:

[i]"After installing rotors and pads on a vehicle, a bedding or bed-in procedure must be performed on the brake system. There are two objectives for bedding-in performance brakes. First, heating up the brake rotors and pads in a recommended manner, so as to promote the transfer of an even or uniform layer of pad material onto the new rotor discs; and the maturing the pad material, so that the resins used to bind and form them during manufacturing are ‘cooked-off’ the pads."[/i]

[i]"Perform ten partial braking actions, from 60mph down to 10mph. Each event should achieve a moderate-to-high deceleration. "[/i]

Maybe they didn't provide this procedure until recently. I don't have a problem doing this, I was just wondering if anyone had unique experiences performing this process
edited 4/12/2005 12:05
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Excursion Discussion
ART Update - 200 miles
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 14   |   Total Posts: 23   |   Total Views: 3511
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1 2 3

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog