FordExcursions.com Forums

Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Article Discussion Topics
Official Differential Fluid Changing Thread
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 6166
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1
E. Long  Club OwnerSuperMotors Owner
Subscriber
Subscriber since 1/1/2001
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• Registered on 1/23/2001
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/15/2005 23:57
This is a thread for any further discussion about the "Replacing Rear Differential Fluid" article available at:

http://www.fordexcursions.com/installs/install_4/index.php

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
edited 4/16/2005 01:03
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2002
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/16/2005 11:00
Eric I just got to take a peek at the article and gotta say Well Done!

Is it possible that other brand Gear Oil hand Pumps will work with the Amsoil bottles as I don't have that component

Bill

Bill
2002 Excursion XLT-P 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

Subscriber
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/16/2005 17:41
Quote:
Eric I just got to take a peek at the article and gotta say Well Done!

Is it possible that other brand Gear Oil hand Pumps will work with the Amsoil bottles as I don't have that component

Bill

Yeah, other pumps will work just fine. The Amsoil pump is just nice because the threads match up with the bottle's opening. It just makes it a little bit easier.

-Eric

'67 Galaxie 500 - 390 FE, .030" over, FE to AOD adapter, disc brake conversion. The Daily Driver.
'00 Excursion - 7.3L PSD, LANDYOT Gen-II Radius Rods, Factory Tech Valve Body, 200K+ miles and going
CHPMustang
• Plano, TX, USA
• Registered on 7/24/2002
• 1,800 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:4/16/2005 21:36
Sweet Looks like I'll be changing the rear diff fluid next weekend

Bill

Bill
2002 Excursion XLT-P 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

caddys83
• Oklahoma City, OK, USA
• Registered on 12/4/2004
• 127 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:9/17/2006 21:14
Quote:
This is a thread for any further discussion about the "Replacing Rear Differential Fluid" article available at:

http://www.fordexcursions.com/installs/install_4/index.php

Eric, Great "how to" article. I'm going to replace my differential fluid this coming weeken. I thought I pass the 150.XXX mile mark but it I missplaced the "5" I'm in the 117,XXX miles on the truck. Duh..... Before I found that out, I tryied O'reilly auto parts and Napa Stores and some of them did carry Royal Purple max gear oil but not in 75/140 oil weight. So I ordered 5 bottles of Royal Purple Max Gear Oil 75-140W from http://www.rpmoil.com (the package should be here on Monday) I was under the impression my rear takes 3 bottles, then after reading serveral sites, 4 bottles is all I need. So I figure 5 would be enough encase it takes 4 1/2 bottles or if I spill some oil. I don't want to be cut short on oil since I can't find the right oil weight here locally..

Now for my question. What is the reason you picked Ultra Grey over Ultra Black for your RTV silicone gasket maker? I didn't find any major differenace other then the Ultra Grey package said use for forgien vehicles and resists temps up to 600 and something degrees and the Ultra Black can be used in placed of Ford (and other domestic) OEM sealant but has a resist temp of 500 degrees.
Thanks for your input.

I also have a neat little pump too.

--------------------------
I've decided that Xochi was in cahoots with the gas stations to rid me of my bank account. I still and love her.
Subscriber
• Atlanta, GA, USA
• 2,229 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:9/17/2006 21:25
Quote:
Now for my question. What is the reason you picked Ultra Grey over Ultra Black for your RTV silicone gasket maker? I didn't find any major differenace other then the Ultra Grey package said use for forgien vehicles and resists temps up to 600 and something degrees and the Ultra Black can be used in placed of Ford (and other domestic) OEM sealant but has a resist temp of 500 degrees.
Thanks for your input.

No real reason -- I just chose the lowest temp RTV tube I found on the shelf at Napa. I could have very easily missed the black. Yours will be just fine! Enjoy the smell of the rearend gear oil.

-Eric

caddys83
• Oklahoma City, OK, USA
• Registered on 12/4/2004
• 127 posts
1 Vehicle
Posted:9/23/2006 19:07
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for your input.

No real reason -- I just chose the lowest temp RTV tube I found on the shelf at Napa. I could have very easily missed the black. Yours will be just fine! Enjoy the smell of the rearend gear oil.

thanks for the reply. well today I changed the differential fluid. it did took a little longer, laying on my back on the concrete floor felt good. (Ya, I'm still young, I don't need no creaper )

--------------------------
I've decided that Xochi was in cahoots with the gas stations to rid me of my bank account. I still and love her.
edited 9/23/2006 19:19
Ford Excursion Forums > Ford Excursion V8, V10, and Powerstroke > Article Discussion Topics
Official Differential Fluid Changing Thread
Thread Statistics:     Users to Post: 3   |   Total Posts: 7   |   Total Views: 6166
You must be logged in to post in or subscribe to this thread.Pages: 1

About SuperMotors | Contact Us | FAQ/Help | Legal
Copyright © 1998-2024 Web Design Solutions, Inc.
All rights reserved. Duplication & reproduction is strictly prohibited.
SuperMotors.net v5.0.2 ChangeLog